Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Baden-Powell Trail
Part 2: Grouse Mountain to Mosquito Creek

Three weeks after our first excursion on the Baden-Powell Trail we returned eagerly to follow the orange BP trail markers through the mossy woods. Propped up against the pillows on his bed Dylan and I began our morning flipping through the pages of our trusted hiking guide book. The Best Hikes and Walks of Southwestern British Columbia seperates the trail into four sections from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay. We previously hiked west from Lynn Canyon toward Grouse Mountain accomplishing a portion of the second quarter. We stopped half way at Mosquito Creek and then returned to Lynn Canyon. So it seemed logical that we complete the remaining half by trekking east from Grouse Mountain to the familiar brook. With our destination known I packed our gear and we made for McDonald's for an easy breakfast of greasy goodness. A quick stop at Tim Horton's was required to fuel my metabolic engine with the correct amount of morning octane. More than enough healthy trail mix was within our backpack to compensate for our endulgance.

Arriving at Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver we parked our car in the overflow parking lot. There were swarms of people; those taking the cable car up the mountian, and those ready to duel the Grouse Grind Trail ascending to its peak. We on the otherhand had another mission which turned out to be the road less traveled. Shortly into our hike I was surprised by how few hikers and mountain bikes we encountered. Dylan was a chatter box and eager to talk about whatever was apparent to him. A game of I Spy and the songs of Raffi and Wiggles passed the time nicely as we sauntered through the forest.

The trail suddenly began to incline and appeared to gain 200 m in elevation over a short distance. Once it had leveled the timing was good to relieve myself of the backpack and for us to eat a snack and hydrate. Resting on the edge of the switckback we looked down into forest below breathing deeply appreciating the moment and our accomplishment thus far. To Dylan his surroundings must have appeared enormous as he sat beneath the tress peering down the mountain side. What adventure he must have felt within a wilderness far greater than his own backyard. I watched him proudly as he nibbled on his fruit bar smiling in my direction.

We came upon McKay Creek and I was excited by the obstacles to be traversed over the water and around the granite ridge. The precarious foot bridge required my attention as the white water ran beneath our feet. We approached a narrow trail that wrapped itself around a rock face before it stretched out onto more even ground. I was beckoned away from Baden-Powell Trail and seduced upward along a twisted path that seemed better suited toward hobbits than weekend hikers. My imagination went wild as I told Dylan stories of gnomes and elves who built and maintained the trails with care. I opted not to speak of trolls. It became apparent that we were off course, albeit by very little, and it made sense that we turn back to find our way.

With Dylan now on the ground leading the charge we could hear the water rumble through the gorge in the distance. Around the bend and through the trees Dylan then announced that we had arrived, "Mosquito Creek, Daddy!" Upon our second visit to the creek we found a more comfortable place to sit that was further up stream. There I sat preparing our lunch as Dylan explored the pools of water safely from the edge. Once again we ambitiously particpated in the sport of throwing rocks. Dylan was impressed by my distance and the loud clap of the rocks as they smacked the water. Having exhausted himself we then ate our lunch and prepared for the trek back. Within minutes after having departed Dylan was fast asleep on my back with his hands on my shoulders. I picked up the pace and made good time. My knees remained in good form. Dylan slept for over an hour and then awoke in very good spirits. He resumed his ecouragement by advising me make haste and plant my feet carefully downhill. His comforting chatter gave me the drive to complete the last kilometer without losing my momentum. More encouragment will be required from Dylan to get me through our next adventured from Deep Cove to Lynn Canyon.